Sunday, January 30, 2011

{Tutorial} Cake Balls

I love Bakerella!  If you haven't heard of or seen her work, it is a must!  She makes the cutest cake balls and cake pops.  


I make cake balls/pops for several occasions, so I thought I would share how I do it!

Cake Balls

1 box of cake mix (you can make a cake from scratch, but I always use a box)
1 can of cream cheese frosting (again you can make this from scratch)
pans (at least 3; one large, one medium and one pie pan)
wax paper
Candy melts
Edible decor items, such as small candy pieces and nonpareils

1 ~ bake your cake according to the decorations in a 9x13 inch pan and allow to cool completely (sometime I will bake it right before I go to bed and allow it to cool overnight)
2 ~ Crumble cake in a large bowl.  If you have a food processor, you can use that , but I do not, so I use my hands.
3 ~ add in cream cheese frosting and mix together until all crumbs are incorporated.  You can use a spoon, but I prefer to use my hands, that way I know everything is mixed in!
4 ~ prepare your pan by lining it with wax paper.
5 ~ roll the cake mixture into about teaspoon size balls.  You should get anywhere between 40 to 60 balls, it just depends on how big you make them.  You will want to wash your hands frequently because the mixture is sticky and it will start to stick to your hands more and more as your hands get sticker and sticker from the mixture.  Also, they will not be perfectly round or smooth, no worries, you will re-roll them later!
6 ~ put your pan in the fridge.  I let them sit in the fridge for a few hours, sometime overnight, that way they are nice and cold (and stiff).
7 ~ take the pan out of the fridge and re-roll them.  You will want to do this quickly.  As the balls warm up, they get sticker.  Prepare another small pan (I use a round pie pan) with wax paper and place about ten (no more than that) balls on the wax paper and place it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  Place the rest of the balls back into the fridge.
8 ~ melt you Candy Melts, either follow the directions on the package for microwave melting or use a "melter."  I make these often and you find yourself having to microwave the melts over and over again.    You also have to be careful not to over heat them because they will burn, so I purchased a Wilton candy melter.  It melts the candy and then you have set it to warm and it will keep them melted.
8 ~ prepare another pan, any size with wax paper to put your dipped cake balls on to harden.  Take your balls out of the freezer and dip them, one at a time, into the candy melts and place onto the prepared pan. Decorate them now, the candy melts dry rather fast.  After you have dipped and decorated all ten, place ten more from the fridge onto your "freezer pan" and start over from step 7.  If you microwaved your melts, you will have to microwave them each time you are ready to dip the cake balls.  Be care not to burn them!!

You can also make them into a pop (put the cake ball on a stick).  
This makes a great treat and they are absolutely delicious!!
  

1 comment:

Linda said...

Wow. Nice. THanks for showing step-by-step how to make them.
Linda